Tampa International Airport – china first aid splint – china medical crutch

History Tampa Bay was the birthplace of commercial airline service, when pioneer aviator Tony Jannus flew the inaugural flight of the St Petersburg-Tampa Airboat Line on January 1, 1914, from St. Petersburg, Florida, to Tampa using a Benoist Flying Boat the first scheduled commercial airline flight in the world using a heavier-than-air airplane. Drew Field […]

History

Tampa Bay was the birthplace of commercial airline service, when pioneer aviator Tony Jannus flew the inaugural flight of the St Petersburg-Tampa Airboat Line on January 1, 1914, from St. Petersburg, Florida, to Tampa using a Benoist Flying Boat the first scheduled commercial airline flight in the world using a heavier-than-air airplane.

Drew Field

Postcard from Drew Field

In 1928 the city completed the 160-acre (0.65 km2) Drew Field six miles (10 km) west of Downtown Tampa. The more popular Peter O. Knight Airport was opened on Davis Island near Downtown Tampa in 1935, where both Eastern and National Airlines operated until 1946.

The United States Army Air Force took over Drew Field during World War II and expanded and modernized the airport. The airfield was used by Third Air Force and renamed it Drew Army Airfield. Third Air Force used it as a training center by 120,000 combat air crews and flew antisubmarine patrols from the airfield. There was one accident in 1943 that killed five fliers. Despite this, Drew Field set a safety record for the Third Air Force in 1945 after 100,000 flying hours had been completed over a period of 10 months without a fatal incident. The aircraft operated included the B-17, C-47, AT-6, B-25, and others.

Tampa International Airport

After the hostilities, Eastern and National Airlines moved to Drew Field. The reason for the relocation was that the Peter O. Knight Airport was too small to handle the new Douglas DC-4, DC-6 and Lockheed Constellation prop-liners that were being placed into service. During this period the airlines were housed in the former Base Operations Building which was converted into a terminal.

Trans Canada Airlines inaugurated international flights in 1950 and Drew Field was renamed Tampa International Airport. The airport’s second terminal opened in 1952 near the intersection of Columbus Drive and West Shore Blvd. The building, which was built for three airlines, was soon swamped. The Civil Aeronautics Board granted Capital, Delta, Northeast, Northwest and Trans World Airlines authority to fly to Tampa during the late 1950s and as a result created havoc at the undersized terminal. An annex was built east of the terminal to accommodate the new carriers.

Jet-powered operations began in 1959 when Eastern Air Lines introduced the Lockheed L-188 Electra. The following year National Airlines began turbojet service with the Douglas DC-8 jetliner. Flights to Mexico City began in 1961 with weekly service by Pan American.

Congestion became a serious problem at the 1952 Terminal when the airlines began to replace their piston powered equipment with larger jetliners. As a temporary measure the terminal was once again expanded to handle the growth in traffic.

The 1971 Terminal

During the early 1960s, the aviation authority began making plans to build a replacement terminal in an undeveloped site at the airport. Airport leaders chose the Landside/Airside design in 1965 after a careful study of different types of terminals.

Construction on the new terminal began in 1968 between the airport’s parallel jet-capable runways. When completed in 1971 the new jetport was highly praised by the press. Prior to its official April 15 opening, 60,000 people toured the new facility during a two day open house event. National Airlines Flight 36 from LAX was the first to arrive at the terminal. After touching down at 05:26 am the jet taxied to Airside E to disembark its passengers.

The people mover system (Airside E, right)

The airport’s people mover system was the first such system in the world. The original eight trains were built by Westinghouse.

The 227-foot (69 m) tall ATC control tower became operational on July 15, 1972 and at the time was the tallest in the United States (at 227 feet). The Host/Marriott Airport Hotel with its revolving rooftop restaurant got plenty of attention when it opened its doors on December 1973. The building’s features include triple-paned windows and sound-proof guest rooms.

Northwest and National Airlines brought the Jumbo Jet to the airport late in 1971 with the introduction of the Boeing 747 and McDonnell Douglas DC-10. This was followed by the introduction of the Lockheed Tristar a year later by Eastern Air Lines. National Airlines began trans Atlantic DC-10 service to Amsterdam and Paris in 1977. In 1991, Airside B closed following the demise of Eastern Airlines.

During the following decades, the airport was expanded and improved to handle more traffic and additional airlines. In 1996, Airsides C and D were remodeled. The interiors of both satellites were refurbished and the original Westinghouse shuttles were replaced with Bombardier CX-100 trains. During this time, all the airlines from both facilties were housed in Airside E. Upon completion of the renovations, the airlines returned to their original locations and Airside E was closed for good. The Landside Terminal was also remodeled numerous times during the 1980s and 1990s.

Both Delta Air Lines and US Airways opened maintenance bases at the airport to service their growing fleets. However, both bases closed following the September 11 terrorist attacks and the airline struggles that ensued. Alabama based Pemco World Air Services currently occupies the former US Airways hangar performing MRO (maintenance, repair, overhaul) services for several airlines.

Terminal, airlines and destinations

Aerial of TPA in 2004

The Ticketing Level at Tampa International Airport. The level received a makeover from 2000 to 2002.

Airside A

Airside C Interior (2008)

Airside E Interior (2008)

Airside F Interior (2008)

Tampa International Airport’s Landside/Airside terminal was the first of its type in the world. There is a central Landside Terminal where baggage and ticketing functions take place. The Landside Terminal is surrounded by four Airside satellites where airliner embarkment and disembarkment occur. Each Airside is connected to the Landside Terminal via an elevated automated people mover (APM) system which employs 16 Bombardier CX-100 Shuttle Cars. TPA was the first airport in the world to deploy a fully automated, driverless people mover system and is host to Bombardier Transportation’s longest-running APM system. The terminal was originally designed to limit the walking distance between the automobile and airliner to 700 feet (210 m); today, it has increased to about 1,000 feet (300 m), due mostly in part to the larger, more modern airside buildings which have replaced the original, smaller structures. The future of the Airport is certain to see continued growth and success. Many plans have been set in motion to expand as the Tampa Bay area continues to thrive.

Airsides

Today, there are four active airsides (A, C, E and F) with 62 gates. All were constructed after 1985 and all airsides include a food court and gift shop, and outdoor smoking patios. Airsides E and F contain duty free shops in addition to the regular gift shops to serve passengers arriving or departing on international flights. As of 2009, the security screening area in each airside is equipped with one “puffer” explosives walk-thru detection machine. A brief description of each airside and the airlines they occupy are listed below, including the major cities/hubs that each airline serves from TPA.

Airside A

includes gates 1-12 and 14-18

it was opened on March 16, 1995 and was designed by Continental Airlines

Airside C

includes gates 30-45

it was the last airside to be demolished and rebuilt from the ground up; it was reopened to passengers on April 19, 2005

Airside E

includes gates 62-75

it was the first airside to be demolished and rebuilt

the current fourteen-gate facility was designed for Delta Air Lines and was dedicated and opened to passengers on October 15, 2002

the facility includes one airline lounge: the Delta Air Lines “Sky Club”

Airside F

includes gates 76-90

it was opened on November 4, 1987 and was designed for international flights

the facility includes two airline lounges: the US Airways’ Club and the International Club which is used by British Airways passengers

the customs/immigration center is located on level 1

Airlines and destinations

Airlines

Destinations

Airside

Air Canada

Halifax [seasonal], Montral-Trudeau [seasonal], Toronto-Pearson

E

AirTran Airways

Akron/Canton, Asheville [seasonal; begins May 4] Atlanta, Baltimore, Dayton, Flint [seasonal], Grand Rapids [begins June 12], Gulfport/Biloxi, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh [seasonal], Rochester (NY)

A

American Airlines

Chicago-O’Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Miami, New York-JFK, San Juan

F

British Airways

London-Gatwick

F

Cayman Airways

Grand Cayman

F

Continental Airlines

Cleveland, Houston-Intercontinental, Newark

A

Continental Connection operated by Gulfstream International Airlines

Fort Lauderdale, Key West, Miami, Pensacola, Tallahassee

A

Continental Express operated by ExpressJet Airlines

Cleveland

A

Delta Air Lines

Atlanta, Boston [seasonal], Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, Detroit, Hartford/Springfield, Los Angeles, Memphis, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York-JFK, New York-LaGuardia, Salt Lake City [seasonal]

E

Delta Connection operated by Comair

Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky [seasonal]

E

Delta Connection operated by Mesaba Airlines

Memphis [seasonal]

E

Frontier Airlines

Denver, Milwaukee, Oklahoma City [seasonal; ends April 18]

C

Frontier Airlines operated by Republic Airlines

Oklahoma City [seasonal; ends April 18]

C

JetBlue Airways

Boston, New York-JFK, Newark, White Plains

A

Midwest Airlines operated by Republic Airlines

Milwaukee, Omaha [seasonal]

C

Southwest Airlines

Albany, Austin, Baltimore, Birmingham (AL), Buffalo, Chicago-Midway, Columbus (OH), Denver, Fort Lauderdale, Hartford/Springfield, Houston-Hobby, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Long Island/Islip, Louisville, Manchester (NH), Milwaukee, Nashville, New Orleans, Norfolk, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Providence, Raleigh/Durham, St. Louis, San Antonio, Washington-Dulles, West Palm Beach

C

Spirit Airlines

Atlantic City, Detroit, Fort Lauderdale

C

Sun Country Airlines

Minneapolis/St. Paul [seasonal]

E

United Airlines

Chicago-O’Hare, Denver, Washington-Dulles

E

US Airways

Charlotte, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Washington-Reagan

F

WestJet

Ottawa [seasonal], Toronto-Pearson

F

Original airsides

The original TPA airsides were designed in the mid 1960s as four identical facilities. The concept was later scrapped for unknown reasons and the facilities were eventually built around the requirements of their then primary tenant airlines. Thus creating the four dissimilar facilities that stood from their opening in 1971 to 2000. Each airside building was three stories tall and included a minimum of ten gates, a cocktail lounge, snack bar, and gift shop. Each airside was maintained by the airline for which it was built until 1999. All of the facilities (except Airside B) were renovated in the early/mid 1990s but received no further modifications during their life span. All 4 of the original airside buildings have been demolished and either re-built or the space re-used as noted below.

Below is a brief description of the four original airsides and the airlines that occupied them throughout the years. The bolded airlines indicate the primary (anchor) tenants for each facility.

Airside B – former Gates 19-30 (1971-1991)

Airside B was a twelve-gate facility that was designed by Eastern Airlines and was the first original airside to shut down. The closure was the direct result of Eastern’s cessation of operations in 1991. There were preliminary plans to renovate and revive the airside during the early 1990s, but efforts failed and planning for Airside A commenced immediately in 1992. The airside was not rebuilt due to a lack of overnight parking for aircraft, the facility’s close proximity to one of TPA’s runways, and the need for a separate automated baggage sorting facility for Airside A (since Airside A could not accommodate a built-in facility due to its pre-2001 construction), and was eventually demolished in 2003.

Today an overnight aircraft hardstand and an automated baggage sorting facility for Airside A sit on the former site. The site could also one day house an intermodal center that would allow passengers to connect to various mass transit options, including Tampa’s proposed light rail system.

Airside C – Gates 31-41

Airside C was an eleven-gate facility designed by Delta Air Lines. The facility originally housed a customs/immigration center for arriving Air Canada and Pan Am international flights. The center was closed in 1987 and a Delta Crown Room was added. The airside was renovated (and its shuttles replaced) in 1996 but never received any further modification. By the late 1990s, Delta’s presence in Airside C was dramatically increasing, and so was the congestion and lack of gate space. The airline soon requested HCAA to build a new facility for them. Airside E was deemed inactive by 1997 and its future quickly went up in the air. In 1998, it was decided that Airside E be demolished and rebuilt for Delta. After a brief halt in construction due to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks, the new Airside E opened in 2002 and Delta immediately moved in. After much debate by the HCAA about whether to demolish or renovate the aging facility, Airside C was then slated for demolition and replacement in 2003.

Airside D – former Gates 46-55 (1971-2005)

Airside D was the last of the original airsides to close. The facility was designed by Northwest Airlines and was originally without some jet-ways until government airline regulation ended in 1978. The airside was renovated in 1996 (and its original shuttles were replaced). Northwest moved to Airside A in 1999 and United moved to the rebuilt Airside E in 2002. Airside D closed in May 2005 and its remaining tenants (AirTran, JetBlue, and Spirit) were relocated to Airsides A and C. The facility was demolished in May 2007 and the site is currently used as hard-stand aircraft parking, but will eventually be used for the Control Tower and Ground Radar relocation in preparation for the New North Terminal facility. An 8-10 Gate replacement facility may be built down the road depending on capacity needs, but is not likely until 2020 or beyond.

Airside E – Gates 61-70

The original Airside E was designed by National Airlines and boasted a slightly different layout from the other airsides. Its boarding gates were on the third level (as opposed to the second level in the other airsides). This was due to the fact that the facility was designed specifically for the DC-10. The first level was open to allow tugs to drive right through. This was due to the airsides close proximity to the taxiway. Airside E occupied National until its demise and takeover by Pan Am. Pan Am, in turn, occupied the facility until its own demise. Thereafter, the facility was renovated (in 1991) and Continental became its final major tenant. The facility was closed in 1995 after Continental’s new terminal (Airside A) opened. The airside was demolished in 2000 and replaced by its current facility.

TPA Airport Today

The airport control tower as seen from the parking garage.

Today, TPA Airport handles about 20 million passengers per year ) and improvements currently in progress will increase capacity to 25-million passengers a year. The airport’s car rental market is in the top five among all U.S. Airports. And the facility continues to receive consistent top-ranking reviews from numerous publications. A 2007 Zagat Survey ranked TPA the “Best Overall U.S. Airport” and in 2008 Cond Nast Traveler recognized TPA as the second-best airport in the world, just two-tenths of a point behind the first place winner. JD Power and Associates have also given TPA Airport consistently high customer satisfaction ratings over the years. Presently, the largest aircraft serving TPA is the Boeing 777.

At this time, new runway is being planned (17-35) to increase capacity in fair-weather conditions. In addition, a second Landside Airside Terminal will be built to the north of the current facility, allowing the airport to serve over 50-million passengers a year by 2025. Construction of this facility was originally slated to begin in 2010, with completion set to October 2015. However, the St. Petersburg Times reported on November 7, 2008 that the airport authority is no longer pursuing the original planned dates due to the current state of the US and global economies. The current struggle of the airline industry, including the recent merger by Delta and Northwest, has forced passenger levels to level off, and slowly decline at the airport. Additionally, with more possible airline mergers on the way, TPA Airport may not require drastic expansion for another five to six years. The revised start date of construction of the north terminal is now estimated at around 2015. According to the Tampa Tribune, passenger levels dropped by 14% in January 2009

The Marriott located adjacent of the parking garage.

Phase I of the economy parking garage was completed in November 2005. Phase II of the economy garage opened ahead of schedule in November 2005, bringing a total of 5,600 parking spaces.

Tampa International Airport covers an area of 3,300 acres (1,335 ha) at an elevation of 26 feet (8 m) above mean sea level. It has three runways: 9/27 is 6,999 by 150 feet (2,133 x 46 m) with an asphalt/concrete surface; 18L/36R is 8,300 by 150 feet (2,530 x 46 m) with an asphalt/concrete surface; 18R/36L is 11,002 by 150 feet (3,353 x 46 m) with an concrete surface.

For the 12-month period ending May 30, 2008, the airport had 279,183 aircraft operations, an average of 764 per day: 85% scheduled commercial, 14% general aviation and <1% military. At that time there were 90 aircraft based at this airport: 66% jet, 19% single-engine, 3% multi-engine and 12% helicopter.

Airport Amenities

Airport conveniences that are free of charge include passenger paging, wireless internet access, cell phone waiting lot with flight information, free first hour terminal parking, shuttle service from the economy garage, real-time flight information and travelers aid services. Other services include eateries located before passenger checkpoints, touch screen information kiosks, information about local events and outdoor smoking areas.

The logo

The logo represents the blue waters of Tampa Bay with a jetliner flying into a downtown Tampa sunset. It is known as the “Spirit of Flight”. The jetliner was modelled after those once used for supersonic transport — at the time the logo was created in the 1970s, it was during an era when it was thought that supersonic aircraft would replace conventional jets as a mode of air travel.[citation needed]

The color-coding system

Since its opening on April 15, 1971, Tampa International Airport has used a special color-coding system throughout the terminal complex. The Baggage Claim Areas and Ticket Counters are color-coded Blue and Red. Airlines are assigned a color depending on their location within the Landside Terminal Building. The airlines found in the south side of the terminal are color-coded blue. The carriers located in the north side are color coded red. The codes were also assigned names to assist color-blind patrons. The Blue side names are Neil Armstrong and Amelia Earhart. The Red side names are Igor Sikorsky and Chuck Yeager. The Long Term Parking Garage also uses the special color coding system. The four elevator cores have names and colors to make it easier for customers to remember where they’ve parked. Wright Brothers – Orange, Tony Jannus – Purple, Robert Goddard – Green and Charles Lindbergh – Brown. The Economy Parking Garage (EPG) is also split into two sections Purple and Gold. The newest phase, opened in time for the 2008 holiday season, will be Green and Orange. The EPG cores have no names at the present.

The Landside Terminal

The Landside Terminal was designed with convenience in mind. Express elevators and escalators keep passenger traffic moving smoothly, with few bottlenecks.

Level 1 (Baggage Claim) contains all inbound baggage facilities and baggage belts. The Blue Rental Car facility was relocated from its crammed Bag Claim location, to a consolidated facility beneath the long term parking garage in 2002. On November 15, 2006 a new Red Rental Car facility and garage opened adjacent to the Marriott. In late 2008, renovation of the Baggage Claim began and will continue well into 2009. Improvements include new baggage carousels and an inbound baggage screening system.

Level 2 (Ticketing) contains all ticketing/check-in functions. The level also contains a Charter desk reserved for flights that do not normally utilize TPA. The Ticketing area received a major renovation/expansion in 2002.

Shopping/circulation area on the Transfer Level

Level 3 (Transfer Level) includes the airside shuttle stations and a shopping area known as the Airport Galleria. The airport Marriott Hotel is adjacent to the main terminal. Tampa’s facilities are almost entirely housed in the public access main terminal. The facilities are mostly operated and run by three airport retail companies – HMS Host, Stellar Partners, Bay Area Concessions and OSI Restaurant Partners.

There are two food courts on level 3, operating on opposite sides of the building. The Galleria also features TGI Friday’s, the first airport Carrabba’s, diverse shopping attractions, such as a Ron Jon Surf Shop, Brookstone and Harley-Davidson. There is also an outdoor smoking/observation patio located where the Airside B shuttle bay once stood.

Level 3 has undergone numerous major renovations. The main building was renovated in 1997. Shuttle bay expansions were constructed in 1986 for Airside F, 1994 for Airside A, 2001 for Airside E, and 2004 for Airside C. Future expansion plans include a relocation of the shuttle bay for Airside E by 2012, and, if the plans for a light rail system in the Tampa Bay area come to fruition, a light rail station could be constructed at the current Observation Deck location. The airport also has plans on building a north terminal complex in addition to the existing complex by 2020.

Service building

When the airport opened its doors in 1971, the Service Building went into operation as well. It housed the very first Communications Center, Police dispatch, employee cafeteria and maintenance locker rooms. The building is located across from the Red Baggage and Ticketing levels. It was primarily intended to house mechanical equipment such as the chiller plant and electrical transformers. Since then it has been expanded to two levels which was in the original design in 1968. Today it houses the original facilities with the addition of offices, rental car counters, badging and a receptionist desk. The Police department/Lost & Found has a lobby on level two (ticketing level) for walk-in lost & found requests.

Parking facilities

Currently, over 20,000 parking spaces are available at the airport. These spaces are split between the Short Term Parking Garage, the Long Term Parking Garage, and the Economy Parking Garage. As of right now, there is an ongoing expansion of the Economy Parking Garages which is in its second phase of construction. Also, the SunPass Plus program, first introduced at Orlando International Airport, is being implemented at TPA in stages. In early 2009, the Economy Parking Garages began using the program, in which customers can use their SunPass transponders to pay for parking. The program was expanded to the Short & Long-Term garages during the summer of 2009. In addition, TIA also provides “self-serve” lanes in which customers can pay with their credit card instead of waiting in line for the cash lanes.

Short term parking garage

Levels 4-9 of the Landside Terminal Building house the short term parking garage. The garage was built with the airport complex in 1971 for added passenger convenience. Originally three levels, the garage was expanded in 1982 to six levels and contains 3,612 spaces.

Long term parking garage

Long term parking was originally a large lot sitting on what is today, the present-day long term parking garage. The garage was built in several phases from 1990 to 1997 after increased passenger traffic swamped the parking lot beyond capacity. A monorail (situated on Level Five of the garage) connects passengers to and from the short term parking garage (Level Five) and the Landside Terminal. The garage can hold a total of 7,635 spaces on six levels.

Economy parking garage

On November 1, 2005 phase I-A of the garage opened to the public and then on May 19, 2006 phase I-B opened. The garage is 8,043 spaces large and is divided into two color-coded sections – purple and gold (yellow). There is also a surface lot and overflow lot for use during the holidays. A free shuttle service takes passengers to the terminal drop-off twenty-four hours a day. Construction began in early 2008 on phase II which will be an exact copy of the first phase.

Cell phone waiting lot

Cell phone waiting lot flight display

In an effort to decrease congestion within the Landside Terminal, particularly the baggage claim areas, a cell phone waiting lot was built alongside one of the remote overflow lots. It includes two large four panel flight status boards, showing real-time arrival information. This allows awaiting family members and friends of arriving passengers to wait in their vehicles until the passenger calls. Then the arriving passenger(s) can be picked up curbside at the Landside Terminal without creating curbside congestion problems. The lot has restrooms, WiFi, recorded CCTV surveillance and around-the-clock police patrols. Construction began in early 2008 to expand the cell phone waiting lot and was completed in November of that same year. The lot contains approximately 125 striped spaces.[citation needed]

Monorail

The monorail was installed in 1991 when the new long term parking garage was built and opened on December 16. It was the first of its kind in the world to include six driverless, electrically propelled cars that are completely computer controlled. The system was also the first to have active switches and it is monitored from the airport’s communications center. There are four long term stations. Monorail circles the long term parking garage and connects to the short term garage via an elevated bridge to stop at four additional stations. Monorail is free to use and runs twenty-four hours a day except for a once-a-week maintenance shut-down in the overnight hours. Bombardier Transportation maintains the system by contract and the Aviation Authority owns it.

Future Intermodal Center

Plans are currently in the works for the construction of an intermodal facility located on airport premises. This would allow passengers to better connect to the number of proposed bus routes by both HART and PSTA. In addition, a light rail system is being planned for the Tampa area, with a link to TPA Airport from Downtown Tampa and the WestShore district .

Public art program

The Airport’s public art program was established in 1998 to enhance the traveling public’s experience and to bring forth Florida’s history and culture. A committee selects the art through a jury process.

Permanent exhibits:

Landside Terminal Level 3 at the observation deck includes paintings, sculptures, glass art and mixed media presentations. Various artists contributed.

Airside E boasts a collection of seven WPA (Works Projects Administration) murals which were originally painted in the 1930s and restored for display. These originally adorned the Peter O. Knight Airport until 1965. Artist is George Snow Hill.

Landside Terminal Level 2 has a collection of copper, nickel, silver and bronze alloy suspended Pelicans and a mangrove tree sculpture. Original to the airport when it opened in 1971 the collection is known as “The Meeting Place”. The mangrove tree is 15 feet (4.6 m) tall with a flock of 22 life-sized pelicans all in copper roosting and circling around. Pelicans are also “flying” above the escalators. Artist Roy Butler of Plantation, FL.

Landside Terminal Level 2 near the United ticket counters is a presentation of 28 Cirkut images (A type of Kodak camera). They are 20.8 x 10 feet (3.0 m). The photographs depict the unique history of social and urban growth of Tampa, FL and the west coast. Included are a team photo of the New York Yankees (1927) and a 1922 Gasparilla Invasion. Artist: Brothers Al and Jean Bugert

Blue Side Baggage Claim includes artwork by Elle Terry Leonard and Josh Johnson above the marine exhibit.

Airport Chapel level 3 of the Main Terminal has the first ever commissioned artwork of glass art adorning the entryway door and interior. Artist Yvonne Barlog.

Richard J. Frank’s watercolor on paper “Off Doolin” hangs in the shopping arcade of the landside Terminal.

Ticket Level/Red Baggage Claim Tapestries were hand-made by twenty women from Phumalanga, Swaziland in Africa. Each is 34 feet (10 m) by 8 feet (2.4 m) and depict familiar Florida nature scenes. They serve two purposes. The first is to provide eye-pleasing decoration and the second is to provide a sound absorption method.

Red Baggage Claim Aquarium tile collage by E. Joseph McCarty.

Main Terminal Level 3 “World Traveler” glass vase. Uses the graal and overlay technique by Duncan McClellan.

The Airport also has a collection of rotating work and exhibits on loan in addition to the permanent collections. They include the exhibit at Airside A security screening and the gallery in the arcade to the Marriott Hotel.

Airside C includes: (totaling over million)

Spiraculum, a collection of twenty-six mosaic floor medallions at the shuttle lobby by Kristin Jones and Andrew Ginzel.

Final Boarding Call, an 11 ft (3.4 m) by 17 ft (5.2 m) Oil painting on Belgium linen by Christopher Still. It’s located at the TSA checkpoint.

q, a 90-foot (27 m) long sculpture of cut-out figures. It depicts travelers from different time periods and forms a timeline of advances in airline travel.

Barnstormer, an eight foot tall silicon bronze statue of a pioneer pilot. It weighs more than 1,000 pounds and sits atop a 4-foot (1.2 m) high cement pedestal. Artist: Harrison Covington

Orange Blossom, an aluminum sculpture by Stephen Robin. The fragrant flower blooms in the spring and is Florida’s state flower. This sculpture is 13 ft (4.0 m) by 9 ft (2.7 m) by 5 ft (1.5 m) and weighs about 1,300 lb (590 kg).

One Buc Place

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers’ team headquarters were adjacent to the airport from their inception in the 1976 to 2006, when they moved to a new facility at the former Tampa Bay Center. It is located just across the street from their home field, Raymond James Stadium, and close to the airport.

Accidents and incidents

In 1943, five people were killed when their B-26 crashed on a flight from Avon Park to Eglin field. The pilot attempted an emergency landing at Drew Field and overshot the runway. Two others on board survived. This occurred one hour after an A-24 flying out of Drew Field crashed in Mullet Key near St. Petersburg, a bombing range at the time. The pilot ditched the plane and lived but the gunner bailed out and drowned.

On June 27, 2009, US Airways flight 1241 underwent a rough landing causing the front tire to blow. Subsequently the blown tire caused the landing gear to collapse. None of the passengers or crew on board reported any injuries. However, television pitchman Billy Mays was on this flight and was hit on the head, possibly by falling luggage out of the overhead compartments, during the rough landing; he was found dead the following morning. No evidence of interior or exterior head trauma was discovered during the autopsy.

See also

List of airports in the Tampa Bay area

Florida World War II Army Airfields

References

^ a b http://tampaairport.com/about/facts/tia_fact_sheet_short.pdf

^ a b c d FAA Airport Master Record for TPA (Form 5010 PDF), effective 2009-05-07.

^ http://www.tampaairport.com/about/history/drew_field_airport_history.asp

^ http://www.aci-na.org/stats/stats_traffic

^ Brown, Warren J. (1994). Florida’s Aviation History. Largo, Florida: Aero-Medical Consultants. p. 56. ISBN 0-912522-70-4. 

^ a b Dead Listed in Drew Field Crash St. Petersburg Times, Mar 11, 1943

^ Drew Field Sets Safety Record Saint Petersburg Times, Sept 30, 1945

^ http://www.pemcoair.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=76&Itemid=111 &phpMyAdmin=95fdf3a42c7b91d4775818556026f322&phpMyAdmin=FAAFRlzDpszehXYgN7tsCPU8Oxa

^ Tampa International Airport, History

^ http://tampaairport.com/shops/airside_e_map.asp

^ http://tampaairport.com/shops/airside_f_map.asp

^ http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/feb/02/021535/airtran-gives-tampa-airport-its-first-flights-gran/

^ St. Petersburg Times, A New Day for Parking.

^ Tampa International Airport, Economy Garage – Phase II opens ahead of schedule!

^ Bay News 9, Bay Area Briefs.

^ Aviation Week,

^ HARTline 2008 Community Report

^ Transitway Planning, Tampa International Airport

^ Five Are Killed As Bombers Crash The Evening Independent, Mar 10, 1943

^ http://www.abcactionnews.com/content/news/breakingnews/story/US-Airways-plane-makes-hard-landing-at-Tampa/J4S8mFG6PEqaw5-jy4S08Q.cspx

^ http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/story/Mays-preliminary-autopsy-results-expected-today/8Zj2TYUsCkCaIn5rGCbLHg.cspx

Other sources

TPA Airport Master Plan Requires Acrobat Reader 7 or higher.

External links

Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Tampa International Airport

Tampa International Airport, official site

Juan’s Tampa International Airport Fan-Page

Drew Field Echoes, military newspaper for 19421945 when the airport was a military air field

FAA Airport Diagram (PDF), effective 11 Feb 2010

FAA Terminal Procedures for TPA, effective 11 Feb 2010

Resources for this airport:

AirNav airport information for KTPA

ASN accident history for TPA

FlightAware airport information and live flight tracker

NOAA/NWS latest weather observations

SkyVector aeronautical chart for KTPA

FAA current TPA delay information

v  d  e

USAAF Third Air Force in World War II

Airfields

Alabama  Arkansas  Florida  Georgia  Louisiana  Mississippi  North Carolina  South Carolina  Tennessee

Units

Commands

II Air Support Command  III Air Support Command  III Bomber Command  III Fighter Command  III Reconnaissance Command  III Tactical Air Command

Divisions

III Tactical Air Division

Wings

8th Fighter Wing  9th Fighter Wing  40th Bombardment Wing

Groups

Air Commando

2d Air Commando  3d Air Commando

Bombardment

3d Bombardment  12th Bombardment  17th Bombardment  21st Bombardment  29th Bombardment  30th Bombardment Group  38th Bombardment  44th Bombardment  46th Bombardment  47th Bombardment  85th Bombardment  88th Bombardment  90th Bombardment  91st Bombardment  92d Bombardment  93d Bombardment  94th Bombardment  95th Bombardment  97th Bombardment  98th Bombardment  99th Bombardment  100th Bombardment  309th Bombardment  310th Bombardment  312th Bombardment  319th Bombardment  320th Bombardment  321st Bombardment  322d Bombardment  323d Bombardment  335th Bombardment  336th Bombardment  340th Bombardment  344th Bombardment  345th Bombardment  386th Bombardment  387th Bombardment  391st Bombardment  394th Bombardment  396th Bombardment  397th Bombardment  409th Bombardment  410th Bombardment  411th Bombardment  416th Bombardment  417th Bombardment  418th Bombardment  451st Bombardment  454th Bombardment  463d Bombardment  483d Bombardment  488th Bombardment

Fighter

20th Fighter  31st Fighter  49th Fighter  50th Fighter  53d Fighter  54th Fighter  56th Fighter  59th Fighter  79th Fighter  80th Fighter  81st Fighter  84th Fighter  85th Fighter  311th Fighter  332d Fighter  337th Fighter  338th Fighter  339th Fighter  361st Fighter  369th Fighter  372d Fighter  404th Fighter  405th Fighter  408th Fighter  414th Fighter  506th Fighter

Fighter-Bomber

27th Fighter-Bomber  48th Fighter-Bomber  86th Fighter-Bomber  406th Fighter-Bomber  407th Fighter-Bomber

Reconnaissance

2d Reconnaissance  9th Reconnaissance  10th Reconnaissance  26th Reconnaissance  65th Reconnaissance  67th Reconnaissance  68th Reconnaissance  69th Reconnaissance  70th Reconnaissance  75th Reconnaissance  77th Reconnaissance  423d Reconnaissance  424th Reconnaissance  426th Reconnaissance

United States Army Air Forces

First  Second  Third  Fourth  Fifth  Sixth  Seventh  Eighth  Ninth  Tenth  Eleventh  Twelfth  Thirteenth  Fourteenth  Fifteenth  Twentieth

v  d  e

Major airports of the United States

Atlanta (Hartsfieldackson Atlanta International Airport – ATL)   Baltimore (Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport – BWI)   Boston (Logan International Airport – BOS)   Charlotte (Charlotte/Douglas International Airport – CLT)   Chicago (Chicago Midway International Airport – MDW)   Chicago (O’Hare International Airport – ORD)   Cincinnati (Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport – CVG)   Dallas-Fort Worth (Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport – DFW)   Denver (Denver International Airport – DEN)   Detroit (Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport – DTW)   Fort Lauderdale (Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport – FLL)   Honolulu (Honolulu International Airport – HNL)   Houston (George Bush Intercontinental Airport – IAH)   Las Vegas (McCarran International Airport – LAS)   Los Angeles (Los Angeles International Airport – LAX)   Miami (Miami International Airport – MIA)   Minneapolis Saint Paul (Minneapolis-Saint Paul International Airport – MSP)   Newark (Newark Liberty International Airport – EWR)   New York (John F. Kennedy International Airport – JFK)   New York (LaGuardia Airport – LGA)   Orlando (Orlando International Airport – MCO)   Philadelphia (Philadelphia International Airport – PHL)   Phoenix (Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport – PHX)   Salt Lake City (Salt Lake City International Airport – SLC)   San Diego (San Diego International Airport – SAN)   San Francisco (San Francisco International Airport – SFO)   Seattle (Seattle-Tacoma International Airport – SEA)   Tampa (Tampa International Airport – TPA)   Washington, D.C. (Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport – DCA)   Washington, D.C. (Washington Dulles International Airport – IAD)

v  d  e

Tampa Bay Area

Topics

Tampa Bay  Tampa Bay Buccaneers  Tampa Bay Rays  Tampa Bay Lightning  Tampa International Airport  Ybor City  Cigars  Hillsborough County Schools  University of South Florida   Climate of the Tampa Bay Area

Central cities

Tampa  St. Petersburg  Clearwater  Lakeland

Suburbs

over 200

Pinellas Park  Temple Terrace  Brandon  Zeyphrhills  Plant City  Largo  Dunedin  Tarpon Springs  Lake Wales  Winter Haven  Bartow  Polk City  Lutz  Greater Sun Center

Satellite cities

Bradenton  Sarasota  Kissimmee  Brooksville  Orlando  Naples  Ocala

Region

Tampa Bay Area  Central Florida  Sun Coast

Outlying regions

Southwest Florida  Florida Heartland  Big Bend  Fun Coast

Counties in MSA

Hernando  Hillsborough  Pasco  Pinellas

Counties in CSA

Citrus  Manatee  Sarasota

See also: Florida

Categories: 1928 establishments | Airports in the Tampa Bay area | Buildings and structures in Tampa, Florida | Hillsborough County, Florida | Transportation in the Tampa Bay Area | Defunct World War II USAAF Fields | Innovia people movers | UM people movers | Airport people mover systems | Airfields of the United States Army Air Corps | USAAF Third Air Force Unit Training StationsHidden categories: All articles with unsourced statements | Articles with unsourced statements from February 2009 | Articles with unsourced statements from March 2009

Tagged with:
 

Comments are closed.




Looking for something?

Use the form below to search the site:

Still not finding what you're looking for? Drop a comment on a post or contact us so we can take care of it!

premium wordpress themes